Friday, September 16, 2005

Humidity

It's obvious that I wasn't good with computers before coming to Japan, but now it's even worse. I have tried to pull up this blog website in English but still can't figure it out. So I did write about a week ago, and somehow never posted it. We'll see if this one gets out there. I have started teaching at the schools all over the city. I never thought the job would be so fun! So far, I have only gone to Elementary schools and one nursery school, and once I get over the initial awkwardness of not being able to talk to any of the teachers, it really is a great job. The typical day is as follows: I get up at about 7:30, get ready for work, and get on my bike or to the train station by about 8:30. I usually don't have to be to the schools until 9:00 or later, then I help teach classes (i.e. show pictures and play games) for 3 hours. After the 3rd class, I eat lunch in the 3rd classroom, and the lunches are usually really good- except that I have to drink lukewarm milk (Mom and Dad, this means I may be less picky when I get back). After lunch, I either play with the kids at recess, study Japanese, teach one more class, or go home. The kids are extremely cute, and usually genuinely happy to be learning English from me. This may change when I start at the junior highs, but I think I can deal with it. I have pictures of some of the kids, but as I still don't have internet at my place, I will have to wait to post those.
Besides work, things are also pretty good. I have been getting to know my co-workers better, as well as some other English teachers in the surrounding areas. It's a pretty diverse crowd so I think things will stay interesting. We are planning on going to the World Expo in a few days, but those are the only plans I have for the future. So that's it for now!

2 Comments:

At September 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

stacy....so i finally remembered that you have this blog, so now i don't feel so bad that you haven't e-mailed me...sorry this was my first visit. it is good to hear that things are good with the job. i can't wait to get over there. so once again, i have lost all modivation to do anything productive with my life and i just want to hang out.......oooops. perhaps it has something to do with the crowd/ person i recently meet......anyway, i am still finishing grad and pc applications, but with less interest than when i started them. right now i am leaning more toward the pc....mostly because i am jealous of your abraod expereince. anyway....blah blah blah. so the wildlife film festival is here, there is some pretty cool stuff going on, not to mention alot of cool cameras and tech equipment. i am sure there are all sorts of famous directors and what not here, but you know me....i wouldn't know the difference. well, enough about me. i will check this more often. oh - i attempted to purchase a plane ticket yesterday...but it takes 72hrs for it to be confirmed through the web site....hopefully i am not getting screwed. there were some other complications as well....but i'll let you know all the details when it is finallized. have a great day!!!!! i miss you. :) kris

 
At September 20, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Stacy, while you're over there see if you can do something about those Japanese girls' sense of style... the jeans and pumps, the capri's and pumps, the shorts and pumps, the sweat pants and pumps... ok, it's the pumps. I'm not even sure what pumps are, but whatever shoes they're wearing, make them stop!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home